Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Precedent and the Present

I researched other environmental magazines: The EnvironmentalistNational Geographic and The Ecologist. Their content is often scattered on many subtopics indicating that they are very diverse in their content. The news from all around the world was cluttered on the first page and their articles were meant for an intellectual audience.
I had this idea 5 minutes ago around 3:30am. See, I originally thought I'd get the best information by doing a local magazine. Sure, it wouldn't be internationally popular but my information, content and audience would be secure. What if I dedicated an issue to a location or town every issue? From sustainable art to private enterprise intrusions to environmental disasters, the issue would cover all aspects of environmentalism of that area. People love to learn about new places and by giving them a new place every issue, not only would it spread environmentalism but it would it would never run out of interesting stories. Snapchat did a similar ordeal to wild success. It was called Life and everyday people would be excited to see the new city being shown. However my only concern with this approach is that, from the point of view of an adult or perhaps someone working class, these may not be targeted towards them. People of lower income and adults are the people that are impacting the environment now and they are the ones that have the most difficulty with it. Environmentalism is seen as a 1st world problem. Why should people, who have to work to get food on the table, care about the environment? How can I claim that my magazine will offer accessibility if I am disregarding those who know or care the least? Though if I desire to be trendy, I suppose I was setting myself up for a young audience. Making a magazine for those in poverty is a pretty hard task anyway, so I've eliminated them from my audience. So, any way, back to my idea, the issue that I would showcase to Cambridge is the South Florida or Miami issue. That leaves plenty of topics for me to write about: the reuse of old buildings in Little Haiti for the exodus of art galleries from Wynwood, the popularization of the Florida trail, Miami beach floods, the positions of politicians on climate change in Florida, local food markets, the SlowFoods collaboration in schools, the change to cooking locally in the spring, the "ugly" food movement!!! What a jackpot! Also, for spring break, I'm going to visit my family in Brazil, perhaps I'll take advantage of the opportunity and take some candids of tropical beauty while I'm there for the magazine (for the sneak peek of the next issue or just for aesthetic effect).

"Luckerson, Victor. "How Snapchat Built Its Most Addictive Feature." Time. Time, 25 Sept. 2015. Web. 13 Mar. 2016."

"Shah, Anup. "Poverty and the Environment." Global Issues. Global Issues, 12 Feb. 2005. Web. 13 Mar. 2016."


No comments:

Post a Comment