Saturday, March 19, 2016

Spring Break isn't a real break

For Spring Break, I am in Bahia. What strikes me most about my motherland is the abundance of mixtures. Everything is juxtaposed: black and white, rich and poor, urban and rural. There is a sense of order within the chaos of Brazil. In the U.S. everything is organized and functions, here not always, but that's okay. Also, I am sweating a lot, like a lot. Often, I have to take more than 2 showers a day because I am always sweating. The heat invokes a relaxed culture within this portion of my country. I am trying to capture this personality with the lens but often the image is difficult to capture. I've gotten a couple of shots but I don't know if it's any good.
For Miami, it also has a personality but I don't know how to put it on the paper because, for me, it's normal. As an American as well, I can see the differences between my culture in Brazil and I know what I can put in the magazine that can appeal to my audience as foreigners. With South Florida, I don't think I have an outsider's view and it's causing me doubt.
For my stories, ecotourism doesn't passion me, I mean it's fun but it's not something I could base my main story on. It bores me. It's a shame because maybe the people want to see it. If push comes to shove, ecotourism is my backup plan. I think at home, I will get a list of story topics and go around my school to survey which one people enjoy the most because I want to choose my topic well. With my other possible story, the Old Zoo at Crandon Gardens, it would show a representation of nature overtaking the urban environment which I think is a very beautiful visual. However as the content for a story, there isn't much to say, at most, it could be a photo gallery of the cool images. It's a cool concept but an essay of birds overrunning their ancestor's prisons is a little bit too far "out there" and ultimately not something people would read with their free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment